Oldends Lane Playing Field
In the 1930s there were three separate fields located between the two railway lines next to Oldends Lane. One small field had already been bought by the National Playing Fields Association. During WW2 this was taken over by the Gloucestershire War Agricultural Committee. After the war this land was leased to the council for a playing field. In the 1960s the council bought another large field (previously owned by J.C.C. Kimmins) and finally the last small field to combine into Oldends Lane Playing Field.
This playing field is home to Stonehouse Football Club, including junior teams for most ages of boys and girls. Other facilities include a children's play area and a multi-use games area. A youth centre and skatepark have recently been added within the site. The Magpies Social club is also located here.
Laburnum Recreation Ground
In 1919 the Parish Council wanted to acquire a field to serve as a recreation ground for the people of Stonehouse as a Memorial for the First World War. The Laburnum Field was bought by Mr J.C.C. Kimmins, owner of Kimmins Mill, and donated to the Parish. He requested that public subscriptions should be collected to pay for its adaptation to a recreation ground and that the Parish Council should pay for its upkeep in the future. A trust was set up for this purpose. Later on the Council asked Mr Kimmins if he wanted any particular name for the Field but he declined the offer.
Stonehouse Football Club used to play there before Oldends Lane Football Ground was opened. All manner of fetes and shows have been held there during the past 100 years including Horticultural Shows, It’s a Knockout, Fancy Dress Competitions and the Summer Jolly.
In addition to the playing field, play area, boules court, outdoor table tennis and Green Gym there is a very active Community Centre (which is run by Stonehouse Community Association).
In 1941/42 a British Restaurant was built in the corner of the Laburnum Recreation Ground (at the Co-Op end). In 1943 the Council was told that a recreational centre was to be built for war workers at the other end of the field, and the land was commandeered by the Government for that purpose. What is now known as the Community Centre was opened there on September 9th 1944. In 1946 a parish meeting had authorised the Council to take over the old recreational centre and, on December 14th, Stonehouse became the first Parish Council in the country to run a Community Centre. Overseeing activities at the Centre made great demands on the Council members and their clerk, leaving little time to pursue other matters. So in August 1948 the Council handed over control of the Community Centre to a Community Association.
The Community Centre offers a large hall with a stage where groups can meet. There is also a smaller room and kitchen facilities. A wide range of clubs and societies meet there catering for all ages. For more information go to their website.
Meadow Road Playing Field
This field was part of farmland that stretched across from Queen’s Road to Woodcock Lane. During the 20th century housing estates were built that gradually replaced all the farmland. The largest green space left is the meadow between Hazelwood and the railway embankment. As farmland, the field was used mainly for hay. It was always full of moon daisies. There are other green spaces in the Meadow Road estate incorporating natural streams.
This playing field has two play areas and a small basketball/football area.
Stagholt Playing Field
This is located at the western edge of town on Gloucester Road opposite Standish Lane.
As far as we know Stagholt Field was always farmland, before it was used to replace the allotments that were lost when the Arrowsmith Drive estate was built. The previous allotments ran alongside Maidenhill School next to farmland.
Stagholt Field provides a large recreation field for everyone to enjoy. Tag Rugby is played here every Sunday.
There is a large area dedicated to allotments.
Doverow Wood and Doverow Hill
The wood originally belonged to the Manor of Stonehouse. The land it occupies was in private ownership until late in the nineteenth century. Around 1890 it was given by its owner, Martinus Peter Hayward, to Stroud Local Board of Health ‘for the purpose of dedicating the same as a place of resort and pleasure grounds to the public’. In 1896 Stroud Urban District Council sold the land to Stonehouse Parish Council, who still manage it today. In 1968 the Doverow Hill Trust was established with a donation of £1000 from Mrs Dorothy Helen Farran, grand-daughter of Martinus Peter Hayward. The Trust helps provide funds to look after the wood as a recreational amenity and as a natural habitat.
In the centre of the woodland are the remains of a quarry. It is believed stone from here was used in the construction of the original ‘Stanhus Manor’ during the Norman period. It may also have been used to extend St. Cyr’s Church in the 18th century.
The wood covers six acres and provides recreation for many residents of Stonehouse. Doverow Hill looks out onto the whole of Stonehouse. Both are great places to walk and enjoy the surrounding views.
The “Greens” were once the manorial wasteland alongside the main road running through the village. They were much wider than they are now and have gradually been built over leaving only the main Town Green and spaces such as Willow Tree Green and in front of the Medical Centre where the Millennium Stone is located.
The fight for the Green
In about 1896 the Parish Council took responsibility for the upkeep of the Greens. In 1898 the Greens Committee erected a notice board stating that their permission was needed for use of the Greens. The landlord of the Globe Inn was in the habit of allowing fairs and booths to use the Green in front of his pub. He objected to the council’s board and removed it. The council won a court case which secured the Green for public use, a victory marked by a grand public celebration.
Willow Tree Green
was created when old shop buildings were demolished in about 1920. Mr T. M. Sibly bought the land for the parish and raised the money from subscriptions. The tree was planted in 1921.
The Memorial Cross on the Town Green was paid for by public subscription. It was unveiled by Miss Emily Davies, and dedicated by the Rev. R. P. Waugh, Vicar, on August 12th, 1919.
The names of Stonehouse men who died in the First World War were carved into the stone. In 1932 these were replaced by the bronze plaques we see today. The names of those who gave their lives in the Second World War were added later.
The memorial was restored in 2009 and remains the meeting place for the annual Remembrance Service.
The Town Green is occasionally used for stalls as part of town events such as Celebration Day. It has also been used as a display area for sculptures and paintings during Arts & Paint the Town Pink Week. It also provides a quiet place for remembrance and reflection.
Arrowsmith Drive Open Spaces and Play Areas
These were previously part of the farmland replaced by the housing estate. They now provide places for children to play and natural breathing spaces.
Special thanks goes to Vicki Walker and the Stonehouse History Group for providing the content for this section of our website. You can find out more about the history of Stonehouse by going to the Stonehouse History Group's website
View the Stonehouse Neighbourhood Plan Submission draft